Monday, January 19, 2009

MYOB #10: Happy Hour with the Smithereen's

01/15/09


I write this blog under duress...from myself. When I started this I realized that it would be documenting for all to see, including myself, how much and how often I have a drink. After last night I honestly thought about throwing in the towel and not admitting to having 8 beers over the course of 7 hours. It started at happy hour and ended at 3am with Rockband. Then I realized if I was going to do this right I have to take the good with the drunk and throw it all out there. Now when I categorize pints they are not always full 16 ounce pints, some are 12 ounce beers (3) and some were plastic cups that were probably less than 12 ounces at the concert, either way I call them pints as it is just easier to total. That said it is not as bad as I make out...but it was still 8 different drinks during one evening.

The first 2 pints were Clipper City Winter Storm - Category. This was a nice brown ale with a full bodied flavor and a malty aftertaste. Surprisingly this brew does not show up on the companies website, they are a local Baltimore brewery, and must be a limited run seasonal ale.


The next two beers were Smutty Nose Old Brown Dog Ale. I have had this beer in the past and really enjoy the flavor of this beer. This is a fully stronger bodied brown ale than your normal ales.


The next two beers were one of my favorite beers of all time. A go to beer of mine for more than a decade has been Yuengling Lager, Americas oldest brewery, and a great everyday lager. It has cool crisp flavor that is excellent at a summer barbecue. They were founded in 1829 in Pottsville PA and are still family owned and operated. These were had while rocking out front stage at the Smithereen's concert, a great NJ band.


It is now getting late and we are headed to play some rockband...and drink some more beer!


While playing through the first few licks of the first song I am enjoying a Samuel Adams Octoberfest. I am sure this has been sitting in the back of the fridge for a few months but it still tastes great. This beer has a great caramel and toffee flavor that makes you think of fall after the first sip.


I finished off the night with two New Castle Brown Ale's. This is another good beer that you cannot go wrong with. It is a good beer with refreshing taste. I am basing that on memories past because I am sure at this point I am not really tasting the beer.


After these beers a a bunch more songs I crashed pretty hard and slept solid. I am not advocating over indulgence but on this night we were rockstars and acted like it. I awoke a little hungover but doing ok.


MYOB Totals


Beers 18
Countries 4
Continents 2

No comments:

Post a Comment